Monday, May 22, 2017

Growing Old Gracefully

I have always loved beautiful things! Objects, Places, Thoughts... I just want my life to be filled with beauty and peace. I am a very gentle person, growing up as an only child in a house full of adults. I had no playmates so I made my world the way I wanted it, out of my imagination, with what little I had. It was in the midst of the Great Depression and I had LITTLE. So, my dreams and play were filled with thoughts of flowing gowns, soft music, fabulous art and of course, a tall handsome man. I got the man! 

It is said that everyone you meet, every place you visit, everything that happens helps to shape who you are. I agree with that totally. As I have come to this place in my life (let's just say I'm over the hill) I look back on what has made me who I am and I am more than grateful for the opportunity to have had the life I have. 

Let me start with my dear sweet Mother (pictured here at age 92 and in a 'beauty' contest). She was one of the most gentle people I ever knew. I never ever in all her years heard her say one unkind word about anyone.  I miss you, Mom. 


 I've gotten to travel a lot over the years. I've seen and done things that most people don't get an opportunity to do. Well, at least it was a far stretch for this little gal from Alabama to do and see.

I always did love pretty things and I think that this picture taken at my daughter's house one Christmas is just perfect. It represents family (which I love) and food (which I love) and a beautiful setting (which I love). I guess I just love it all.

I am from the South. Although I was happy to leave Alabama, I have fond memories of so many things there, one of which is the scent of gardenias in the garden in the summertime. Oh, and wild honeysuckle, and chicken frying in the skillet.. 

I just love gates. I always wonder what is on the other side.
 I hope that I am...

12 comments:

  1. You are doing just that. I am amazed by all you do - much more active than my mother in law at the same age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post, Mom! When you said "dreaming of flowing gowns" I actually thought of that photo of you and Dad going to the Governor's Inaugural Ball and you all in gold! But, you didn't post that picture...maybe another "Many Blessings in my life" post. :-) Yes, travel is HUGE...I count it as one of my many blessings, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed you are, my Dear, and with your beautiful kind Mother and her long happy life, you have much more to enjoy. It seems that you are living a charmed life---that happy childhood and your imagination. I've just watched the episode where Anne-with-an-e gets that one beautiful dress, and you made me think of that when you mentioned how little in THINGS you had, but how much grace and love.

    What a lovely post, and I would certainly like to see you in that gold dress!

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post to read this morning. I would say you are doing a beautiful job! Love hearing about your life. I see your daughter has a blog I'm going over to visit her right now....

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is so beautiful and heartwarming. I love everything about it! You made me smile with all of the wonderful thoughts that you shared here...thank you.
    BTW...your mom was very beautiful in her photo and she didn't look anywhere near the age of 92~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Latane, I am convinced that you are. Course there's no such thing as being "over the hill" in my view as life is one steady climb...always something! Did your mom win? That sure is a lovely photo of her. 👑 Your spirit of gratitude is also beautiful. 🌿

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post..sweet words..I too, love beautiful things although I have gotten rid of a lot of the nice old things...Your Mother was a beautiful lady..Have a happy week..

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a beautiful post, Latane, and it is clear that you had a wonderful childhood and continue to lead an amazing life. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed today's post so much. You said so many of the things I feel about getting older. Thanks. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post Latane, you most definitely are growing old gracefully. I reckon you either need to be doing this, or opposite growing old disgracefully, which also could be quite fun, although not for your family!!!! You obviously have grace and charm running in your genes!
    Happy days
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Latane I so enjoyed reading and looking at this post.
    It is so beautiful and has the most wonderful feeling of love and warmth. As I read it through I was smiling and felt so happy, thank you for all you shared here.

    My good wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will visit often and leave a comment when you do. My blogging friends always put a smile on my face.