Friday, August 18, 2017

'Old Timey Things'

Sometimes you just run across pictures of 'old timey' things. Mostly on Pinterest and I do have a board on there to save all my 'old timey' things that I remember. 

It's Friday and time for Willy Nilly Friday and Five On Friday. What a perfect time to share with all of you some things from the past. None of these are my photos, however. They came from Pinterest. 

1. Don't know what these are? You are so YOUNG!!! Bless your heart. You've never washed clothes on a rub board. Lordy mercy. Well,  I have. And, no, I am not 150 years old. But, you make do with what you have when you are young and poor. Last time I used one of these was when my oldest daughter was a baby... we won't say how long ago that was, now, will we?!

2. Oh, and this little palace! I hated having to go to the outdoor toilet when I was young (that was back in the '30s). Ours didn't even have a moon on it. But, it did have a door. So, so happy that we finally got indoor plumbing!!

3. When my babies were little .. that was in the days of CLOTH diapers!! heaven forbid. And, those squares of cloth had to be kept in place on their tiny little butts. What a cute way to pin them with animal shaped pins. Not that the kid is ever going to look down there and say, 'Oh look, Mommy... a pig' or 'I see a bunny'. I mean, come on!

4. What are these? A hint.... they were used before air-conditioning days. Every church pew had one so you could sit there and fan yourself while the preacher droned on and on and he thinks you're listening while you are actually planning a committee meeting on how to get rid of him!! he he

5. Every woman needs one. When did they go away? I think it was when women stopped dressing up in her 'good' clothes to cook dinner for the family. Nobody cares if you slop gravy all over a dirty pair of jeans and a worn out t-shirt. So, these were to keep your 'good' clothes from getting stains. The older I get, the more I drop food on myself when I am eating. I think I have found my answer to keeping my clothes clean!! What you think?

15 comments:

  1. This post is So Much Fun. (Yes, i remember all of these things) -I'm grateful diapers now have Velcro - because, I've never had children of my own - so you can imagine how petrified I would be the few times I was expected to tend to a tiny person. i was always concerned they'd be impaled.

    Happy weekend,
    -g-

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so spoiled today. I look around my kitchen and see all the appliances that we all seem to have these days, and think of my grandmother and my mother having an old bowl and a wooden spoon and turning out such great meals! Great post Latane :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post sure makes me appreciate all the modern conveniences we have now. I did know what they all were even though the only one I've ever used was a paper fan. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun look at things from the past. I've used every one of these! Does that mean I'm old???? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember all those things, except the diaper pins!
    As for the Blueberry Tart - I am diabetic, so my husband ate 95% of it (I had to taste it to see if it was any good!) I can eat fresh fruit, but added sugar as in a pie is a no-no.
    Have a wonderful week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fast food places should give out aprons at drive throughs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a fun post!! i recognize these items but did not use them - i still don't wear an apron. i use my shirt and my pants!!! hehehehe, i LOVE those old wash boards, chuck's nana had one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Great Aunt had an outside loo that was attached to the house. You went out the back door to enter it. I've not seen people using mangles but have heard of them and the scrubbing board and dolly. My Aunt also always wore a house coat overall over her regular close, very rarely did she remove it when she had visitors. My Mum used the nappy pins for my Brother's cloth Terry nappies. I never liked using them, or the nappy folding. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meant clothes, oops! Have a good week x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun post and I know all about those things! Still using the fans. I have a dear friend in Canada who is building on her family's land and she kept the outhouse for "fun". Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Latane, what a fun posts for those of us who remember all these items. I went on Amazon and ordered a couple of aprons (called cobbler, I think). There are thin, but have snaps and pockets. I think Amazon is the Wal-Mart of the internet as you can find so many items. I got them for when I water color. I donated a yellow touch tone phone this week to our local History Musuem. A exhibit is planned of telephones which will be interesting. I hope you are having a great week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have my Mom's old, well-used wash board and it hangs on my laundry room wall to remind me just how fortunate I am!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love those aprons, or what we used to call "pinnies" and yes I do think I could do with one these days!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know what all those things are...guess that makes me old..well. not young anyway...fun post

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never liked using them, or the nappy folding. Cathy x


    หนังใหม่

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will visit often and leave a comment when you do. My blogging friends always put a smile on my face.