Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Peanut Butter and Cracker

In response from requests to continue telling stories of my past here is another one!
Tales of the Past #3

I was just a wee bit of a kid growing up in a household full of grownups, unsure of myself and not having an inkling that we were poor. We were like everyone else in the Depression. Times were hard.

We lived on a farm but nobody was doing much farming. My grandpa was sick, Mama worked in town. My grandma and aunt kept the household running and they tried to keep an eye on me.

We didn't have any 'special' vittles like the townfolks did, like cake on Sunday,  cold cereal in a box with pretty pictures on the outside, sliced loaf bread, crackers or jars of peanut butter.

Now, I thought that peanut butter was the grandest thing ever invented, even better than the candy cane I got every Christmas morning. And, when it was spread on a saltine cracker with another saltine slapped on top to make a 'sandwich'. That was just the best ever!

But, we didn't have peanut butter at my Pa's house. (That's where I lived with my sister, my Mama, grandparents and an old maid aunt). I shouldn't have called her that. Let's just say she was challenged when it came to the romance department.
My Aunt Annie

My uncle, Mama's baby brother - he and his wife, they hadn't been married very long - lived about a block away down this dusty country lane, out past the big old barn and on a little ways. As young as I was, I was allowed (with permission, I hope) to go visit my aunt during the daytime when my uncle was at work. She was young and very pregnant with her first child. And, she kept peanut butter in her cupboard. She always made me a peanut butter and cracker when I'd go visit. 
Aunt Willodine who fed me peanut butter and crackers.

I guess she was feeling sort of poorly one day when I had wandered off down there. I perched my little backside upon a kitchen chair and carried on about as much conversation as a five year old can. I kept glancing at the cupboard where I knew the peanut butter was and I waited and waited. I had stayed as long as I knew I could. Else I was gonna get in a whole bunch of trouble. So, reluctantly, I slid off the chair, went out the back door and started down the steps. In a wee voice I muttered, " I still like peanut butter".

Yes, I got one and happily munched on it on my way home.

10 comments:

  1. That is such a sweet story!!! I would love to hear more and I'm going back now to see if I've missed any!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mom! This is awesome! I loved it. And it is especially precious to me because I knew and loved everyone you are telling about. How adorable you were!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story, precious memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I bet you made her laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwww.....such a sweet memory/story to share.
    diane @ thoughts&shots

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a sweet, sweet memory!! from the mouth's of babe's!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your stories, Latane.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a cute story about you growing up with peanut butter. That's funny that you liked it even better than candy canes. I still love peanut butter to this day, Latane.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny ending to a charming story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have the best stories...I have a hard time remembering what I did yesterday. Lol

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will visit often and leave a comment when you do. My blogging friends always put a smile on my face.