Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Mr. Peanut

                                       Love the new look and day for My Town Shootout!!

My town is Suffolk, Virginia in the USA. We are the home of Planters Peanuts and their mascot, Mr. Peanut! You see Mr. Peanut around all over town. Here are a few shots I got of him.




n 1916, Planters Nut and Chocolate Company ran a contest for a trademark. Antonio Gentile, a resident of Suffolk, Virginia, the peanut-growing capital of the state, began sketching possible entries for the contest. He drew a friendly, humanized peanut tumbling, serving nuts, and walking with a dignified cane.


A young man by the name of Antonio Gentile won the contest and the $5 prize. Below is the home where Antonio grew up (and probably drew the sketch). It is on the historic tour of Suffolk. In later years Mr. Peanut gained a monocle and a top hat as part of his attire.




8 comments:

  1. That's a very nice bit of history that I was unaware of, thanks for posting it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Peanut has always been a dapper fellow. I think I've shared this before, but I have had a fascination with Mr. Peanut since childhood. This stemmed largely from the darling salt and pepper shaker twin Mr. Peanuts that graced my great-grandmother's kitchen table. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to learn this bit of history! No possible controversy over THIS statute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Peanut is one good looking dude!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to be famous for something fun!! Great captures!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect My Town Shootout Post! Love all the views of Mr. Peanut and the info on the drawing contest winner that started it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why, hello, Mr. Peanut! Nice to see you!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will visit often and leave a comment when you do. My blogging friends always put a smile on my face.