Saturday, March 31, 2012

Nebraska Architecture

Everywhere I go I find buildings with interesting architecural designs. It's got to be a hobby of mine to photograph them. When I was in Nebraska visiting my son and daughter-in-law I took these pictures.
I love the two half-round porches with the tall, tall columns on the Arbor Lodge in Nebraska City. You might see one such entry but I don't think I've seen two this massive before. Elegance at the upmost.

This house in Brownville really caught my eye. I like the 3/4 porch with the tall skinny posts and the different window frames. I wonder why they painted underneath the porch roof a red while the rest of the house is blue.

This is one unusual house that we found in Freemont, Ne. The cupola is a focal point but not the only one. There are many interesting pitches and curves on the roof line and I especially like the added detail just under the roof on the second floor.

I found the darker blue lattice work on this house fascinating. I don't think I've seen that before. This house was in Peru, Nebraska.

This is a sort of Widow's Walk atop this home. I was surprised to see it because to me the widow's walk design belongs near the seacoast of Eastern U. S. not out on the plains.

This is a back view of the house (photo #2). Back windows in the back of the house? Hmmmm. But pretty. It appears that this back section was added after the first section of the house was already done and lived in. Beautiful place. I love the vines growing up the windows.
This house, in Brownville, looked so inviting. The roof over the bay windows with it's lighter colored trim, the cool porch and the archway to enter the porch. I just wanted to go visit.

I hope you enjoyed my architectural tour of Nebraska.

8 comments:

  1. You have a wonderful eye for beauty! I love them all. wouldn't it be fun to live in one of those homes. So, you read 'O Pioneers'. =)...I loved her book about the singer...'Song of the Lark' maybe is the title. Hallmark made a movie of 'O Pioneers' I'm pretty sure. She had a remarkable talent as an author. A good author makes you feel as if you are right there in the story with them. I love to read a good book. It is such a treat! I'm afraid I get to fond of things here. The older I get the more I enjoy and appreciate things. Lots of things....=) I hope it warms up tomorrow. the temp here is in the 40's and it feels nasty chilly in spite of the pretty greens come to life. Have a cozy & blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your marvelous finds. What lovely architecture. I have never visited NE so I appreciate you sharing your visit through photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what beautiful homes of Nebraska! Great architecture! You always take such interesting photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful pictures!! Love the architecture. These houses are gorgeous!
    By the way I "tagged" you! :) Another blog friend tagged me in a fun little blog game to get to know each other a little better. If you would like to and feel up to it, feel free to check it out and play along. If it's not your thing, no worries! :)

    Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome photos... I too love seeing the architectural designs when we travel...

    Have you been to Charleston or Savannah??? Gorgeous old homes there...

    Thanks for sharing such beauty.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos of places in Nebraska. I've been to Arbor Lodge (J. Sterling Morton's house) many times and also to the Carson House (a banker) in Brownville. You have showcased special features of all these houses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos, beautiful architecture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The "blue" house is really green and it's red under the front porch because that part is brick. I painted it about 15 years ago. It's the Carson House in Brownville, NE, built as a one story originally by the founder of Brownville. Then a two story by Carson, the banker. Then they added the back "house" to it where the maids and cooks and help stayed. The carriage house is still in the back.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will visit often and leave a comment when you do. My blogging friends always put a smile on my face.