Wednesday, August 8, 2012

FRUITS OF OUR LABORS

Title of post is kind of funny. I put no labor into these fruits. The garden belongs to my son-in-law but I get to enjoy the 'fruits of his labor'. 

Yesterday I got a plastic grocery bag full of tomatoes from his garden. I washed them, did a boiling water dip to loosen the skins

                                           Peeled, deseeded them and put them in a pot to boil

                I packaged them into ziplock freezer bags and made some soup out of leftovers.


                                                  Today.... back to the tomato patch.

                                        On my way I noticed that my manadilla was blooming.

                                                      and 5 little toadstools graced my path

                                       The vines are heavy with fruit.... regular tomatoes and ...

romas.

I picked a bagful so now I start over!!

9 comments:

  1. Good for you, Latane. I am going to be doing the same thing when our tomatoes get a little riper. I will have to take all the seeds out, too. The roma's are the easiest to deseed. Have a good day with your tomatoes. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making me hungry! Soup sounds delish to me. Love your flowering bloom, too. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fruit of the vine! will be so good this winter. Son-in-law did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Latane,tomatoes ripening outside, whatever next?!Our greenhouse ones have not started to ripen yet!I am sure your SIl does not mind sharing the fruits of his labours as I am equally sure you share the fruits (soups)of your labours with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post. Hope to hear how the soups are this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so jealous! Wow! What a great harvest! And those mushrooms are so cute. I figure we'll be inundated with tomatoes by October, and I can't wait!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our tomatoes aren't doing that well....except for the cherry tomatoes. They sure taste good though. Freezing them is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so jealous. Here in Kansas we are suffering the effects of a severe drought. Nice to be reminded that someone, somewhere, is enjoying green grass and ripe tomatoes! Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting this. Now I understand how you prepare your tomatoes for freezing. I am going to do some too.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will visit often and leave a comment when you do. My blogging friends always put a smile on my face.