Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Glass Fish Net Floats

On an island FAR away...........

when my husband was stationed there, he and I would walk the beautiful beaches of Midway Island searching for FISH net FLOATS. These glass floats were used by the Japanese on their FISHING nets. Sometimes they would break loose and FLOAT hundreds of miles and end up on the sandy beaches where we lived.

Some of the sailors would tie FANCY rope webbing around the FLOATS.


We left ours plain. It now sits on my coffee table atop a brass base.



I also have some small glass FLOATS but they are decorative and not used by the FISHERMEN. I did a picture of one, alongside some bottles,  in pastels.



I hope you have a FINE Wednesday on ABC Wednesday. Click on link to view other exciting things that start with the letter F.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Latane, Your glass float is beautiful! It is so interesting how you and Elbert would find them along the beach. Fascinating. It looks so nice on your coffee table. It's a great reminder of wonderful times.

    Blessings to you and yours,
    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful object and your captures show this so well. A lovely choice for the letter F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you walked on Midway Island! How super cool! And to have found glass floats the Japanese used...amazing! I love that glass ball!!!! My father in law was in the Navy in WWII. He was in the Coral Sea and Comondanski (sp?)(lol..don't know how to spell that!) and other South Pacific campaigns. He was wounded and got a Purple Heart and a bunch of other medals. He was a lifer and ended up an E-7.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love to see glass floats especially the coloured ones. Great picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the fish floats.
    My Father in Law gathered some of those in Hawaii after the war.
    They are quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. FINE glass FIGURES
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!
    A great choice for 'F'
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love glass floats and I'm so envious that you found the real ones on Midway Island!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way you are displaying the fish ball! I am so glad you still have it. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Latane, Your fishing float is really pretty..and I like that they drift so far away. It is impressive that you were on Midway Island....& you are so slim and lovely in your picture! Every year that goes by I think I get a bit plumper....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Latane, The glass float is gorgeous... What a neat table decoration... Such a great memory also!

    I have also enjoyed seeing your HUGE snow when you were up north.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's gorgeous!

    Was your hubby in the service. My husband is a retired sailor..

    Fitness... Fashion... Family
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    PS. I am now following your blog, feel free to follow back..

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will visit often and leave a comment when you do. My blogging friends always put a smile on my face.