Saturday, February 28, 2015

GROWING OLD GRACEFULLY

I am enjoying some posts about the Passion, Purpose and Productivity Project and I am certainly not planning to "rain on her parade". But, it brings to mind a change of heart/mind/spirit that came about when I reached my 80th birthday. That's quite a milestone!!

Jemma's blog focuses on the passion that we have in our lives. It's true I've had several things in my life that I have been passionate about but with the passage of time, things change. Our main purpose swims with the ebb tide of our lives.

I was passionate about being a good wife. I started out young and I gave it all I had. I'd say that we did alright... 60 wonderful years together.
Our 60th wedding anniversary.


I was very passionate about raising a loving family. Although I made many mistakes, I did the best I could and I am so proud of my children and their off-spring.


Then, there came a time when my focus was centered on caring for the man I loved. He had Alzheimers. A lot of you know about that struggle, the ups and downs, the final outcome and the grief that followed.

This brings me to my 80th birthday (2014). Although I still missed my husband greatly, I had reached a new phase of my life, one of being alone, of accepting it and being comfortable with that. So, on my birthday I made up my mind that the next decade (and probably my last good decade) was going to be filled to the brim with everything wonderful and exciting that I could find to do. We don't get a second chance in life so I was not going out of this world with any regrets, not if I could help it.



Last year I got sort of caught up with a move, some adjustments to make and  in the process lost my passion for this new phase. And, then, just the other day, there it was again.

So.... and there always is a SO.... I have decided to share my passion of growing old gracefully with all my blogging friends. I know that some of you are nearing my age, some not as close as others, and then there are you young whippersnappers who have never known life except as it is today.

Life is at such a fast pace. You might say I am of the 'old school' where families gathered around the dinner table, where youngsters respected their elders, where small gestures of kindness were truly heart felt and manners were taught at home and in school.

When I am visiting other blogs I tend to skim over the posts that run on and on with words and I don't think I am alone. I get it that we all have a hundred lots of blogs to look at everyday, so we are thinking "can't take time to read all that, where are the pictures"?

So, I have tried to keep my blog posts short on words, long on pictures. But, bear with me. The posts which I plan on sharing ever so often will be wordy. I am just warning you in advance.  I will try to keep them entertaining and as short as possible.

I'd love feedback from you all. But, I feel like I need to do this. I certainly hope you will gain something from it but it is mainly for me. I need to know that I am on the right track for GROWING OLD GRACEFULLY.

I hope you will check out Jemma's blog. The link is at the beginning of this post. You'll like it, I am sure.

                      

15 comments:

  1. I think it is a great thing that you are still seeking your passion! I am 67 and can totally relate to all you are saying. I too do the best that I can to keep each day filled with something that I love. It takes alot of research now compared to younger years. Big KUDOS to you fo keeping up with this goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love, love this post the inspiration and the passion that I see, feel and want to hear more about. You have expressed yourself so eloquently and as we all know we are on this journey together, even at 30! We just don't realize it. Thank you for including me in your introduction, most of all thank you for sharing with us, your journey and how aging gracefully looks from your point of view.
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know how old I am, so you know I need to learn to grow old gracefully :) I still feel like a kid at heart, but I see that my body is growing old. I wanted to get out and play in the snow, but my better judgment said 'stay in and stay warm'!
    That's a sweet "Lay Me Down to Sleep' prayer you wrote on your sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea you were 80... You are an inspiration to me --and I pray that I look as good as you look and have the positive attitude that you have when I turn 80.... Thanks for sharing.

    I seem to enjoy the 'word' blogs as much or more than the little short blogs which say almost nothing... I will take time to read an interesting blog--like this one.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, please, please do follow through on this. I actively watch for blogs of people my age and older, searching for wisdom and inspiration. I understood what you wrote, what you've been feeling, and the ebb and flow of energy and interest in trying to live life to the fullest now, but knowing that my energy and health does not allow me to do all that I might wish but wanting to learn to not only accept but enjoy the way life is now for me.

    I struggle with thinking things like, "if only had a few good nights' sleep I'd have the energy I used to have." That rarely happens--as you can see, I writing this in the middle of the night rather than tossing and turning in insomnia in bed. One of those nights when sleep just won't come but knowing I'll pay for it tomorrow.

    I'll read every word you write and be thankful for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful perspective you have. I wish my mother-in-law who is 84 had the same one. It's good you found such a nice community to be a part of. That is so important at this stage of your life.

    (And I agree with you about the long wordy posts. They are especially hard to read when the type is small. I skim them for content I'm interested in.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look forward to following your blog---love your thought process and goals and sense of humor. It's not easy to keep this attitude as we age, but let's fight the good fight! I'm with you all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. With infertility, my friends have always been aged 50s-90s, from my 20s. They were the only ones who could come out to play.

    Friends in their 80s amazed me the most, still do. Why/how do/did they accomplish so much? Have wondered this for decades. Starting to understand, a bit. Focus. Reduced energy & knowing less time to get all the important things done. Cannot await more epiphanies. Wanting to be up to the task of reaching the 80s, making my dear ladies proud of their friendship/mentoring of me.

    Alas, many have already left. But their lessons are still here, with me. Some of my longtime clients know of these dear ladies, though they've passed. How can I not pass forward, without mentioning the treasure of where it originated?

    Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Latane, I love your attitude! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you. I am 70 and moving and downsizing so I can grow old gracefully. How did you downsize to move? Interested in blog posts about that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Latane, I have great admiration for you, and I'm so glad you shared these wise words on your blog. I hope when I reach 80 years of age that I have half the passion, purpose and productivity you possess. I agree with Michelle, I love your attitude! You are an inspiration! xxx ~ Nancy P.S. Thanks for the sweet comment you left on my blog. I didn't get a notice in my email that you had commented, as I usually do, so couldn't reply as I usually would. Did want you to know, though, that I really appreciate what you wrote. You're so kind. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm ready, Latane. Bring it, Girl. Seriously, as I see it, we're all cruising down the same roller coaster path....some of us have seen/experienced a bit more than others. Its a fascinating concept, Latane, and I'm looking forward to reading your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Latane ... you are never alone. i know the feelings of feeling alone. but you are not. i am not either. i have remind myself that often. my hubby works a lot, stresses a lot, is ready for retirement, but at this time it is sadly not in the cards ...and i feel our marriage has been a time of growing in this year of 11. married 11 years is what i mean. i have grown to be a different person. i think you have to see it all of your life through different eyes. rose colored eyes. i think you are doing a great job. you have written a book and you have so many great things to share here on the blog. i don't always make it here to see ya but when i do i love my visits. have a great March. can't believe February is over. it went by so quickly. big big hugs. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you have a wonderful attitude and that we could all learn a lot from you. I would be very interested in your thoughts on the whole matter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was just bragging on you yesterday (and Aunt Lois's recent comment about making it to 100! :-) ) I was talking to my dear friend Kathy on the phone and she said her Mom won't leave the house and is just miserable. She said her Mom told her recently that she can't wait for it to all be over. That's so sad. Your life has had many milestones of which you can be proud...and I for one am VERY proud of you! You are active, your mind always embracing new ideas and things to do. You are an inspiration, Mom, in the way one should "grow old." Love you!

    PS That second picture was a hoot...Daddy was the only one ready for the camera! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will visit often and leave a comment when you do. My blogging friends always put a smile on my face.