Saturday, November 25, 2017

Is it a Merganser?

                                                       It's Critter Day. And, I have a mystery. 




The Hooded Merganser ducks are back. I got some shots of them the other day but when I looked at the photos, well, there is one that doesn't look like a Merganser. Maybe I'm wrong. Can anyone help me out here?



Here are the Mergansers. See their large hood, more white on the head (can they lift their hoods back he he) and a shorter beak. So, what's that one above? 



Linking with Saturday Critters. Hopefully one of the expert birders can help me out. 

12 comments:

  1. Hello, they are both Hooded Mergansers. They can raise the hooded crest. Great photos! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eileen. That solved that mystery. I am just not too up on my bird watching.

      Delete
  2. Great photos!
    Have a wonderful week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos! Yes, it looks like the hood is down on your recent one. Glad you had a bird to share this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad Eileen solved the mystery of the hooded mergansers! Not a duck I've seen about these parts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Hooded Merganser is quite a handsome fellow!! Some winters we're fortunate enough to some visit our little lake here in town. Common Mergansers are, well, more common. Loons are a special treat to see and above all, to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad they stopped by for you to observe and share with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. interesting. I have never seen the hood down on any images before. Cool!

    Now I have, checked out some images. Even the female has quite a crest :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I have learned something new- I didn't know that! Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are such beautiful birds! I knew that Eileen would know what the 'different' one was! She has even come to my state on vacation and identified birds I didn't know! Wonderful photos. x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are such a cute looking duck.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will visit often and leave a comment when you do. My blogging friends always put a smile on my face.