Saturday, November 4, 2017

School Days

I spent yesterday noon in a school lunch room filled with noisy, happy children. What a gift that was!

I was invited to have lunch with one of my great-grandsons. Now, tell me, how could a Gigi turn down an invitation like that! 




So, I donned my best slacks and blouse, combed my hair, swiped lipstick across my lips, set my GPS, cranked my car and before you know it, I was pulling into the school yard. 

How long had it been since I'd been to school? Wow. Years and years and years. 

After lunch we walked around the book fair. Great-grandson picked out a book about dogs and I handed him some money so he could purchase it. You can't give a kid any better gift that a book. 



I guess the point I am trying to make here is.. well, there's more than one point, come to think about it. 

Every moment you spend with a child makes your life and theirs more joyous.

Every book you read gives that child knowledge they might not of had if you hadn't taken the time.

And, curled up on a bed, with a child next to you on a pillow, a book in your hand and the two of you reading about a magical wonder land. There isn't a better feeling anywhere than that! 

I read to my children. I read some to my grandchildren. I need to make sure I read to the grands soon, too. 




6 comments:

  1. Oh what a happy day! I am thrilled that your great was pleased to invite you to the book fair. (I would never win in such a contest of whom to invite. Ha!) And all your wise points are well taken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special day! I used to substitute teach and always loved being in a classroom...or lunchroom! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very true! Love the end quote. We are going over to Quadville today and high on their list of things to do is reading to us. They can’t wait to show us they really CAN READ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed those with our grandchildren, now they are in high school. How fun was that!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! Having lunch with a great grandson AND book shopping. I read to my sons (now adults) every day. We visited the public library weekly, if not more often, but we owned quite a few books too. Later one of my sons thanked me for spending the time reading to him. He carried on the tradition reading to his son (who is also now an adult, but no children yet).

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a truly sweet and beautiful post, Mom! A very special day indeed! And yes, such wisdom to share. You reading to ME made my world a better place!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will visit often and leave a comment when you do. My blogging friends always put a smile on my face.