Sunday, May 20, 2018

Memorial Service

I attended church this morning where Leslie and I had gone while we were together. It was a Memorial Service for all those loved ones we lost this year. 




I have to admit that I dreaded it, just knowing that it would stir up the loss I have felt, the memories of all those times we sat side by side in that pew on Sunday morning. And, yes, it got me. There were tears. But, they were tears of love, of sadness, of sorrow, of the joy we had shared, the memories of our good times together. 

As each name was called out, one of the small children from our church walked forward down the aisle carrying a lighted votive candle. When they reached the Communion table, the candle was placed there. There were a lot of them and they burned brightly throughout the service. When it was over we could take our loved ones candle home with us. 

The choir sang "On Eagle's Wings", so beautifully done. Leslie would have been so proud to have been remembered in such a way. I miss my 'pew buddy'. He always looked so handsome all dressed up for church. I'd sometimes steal a look at him while we were standing to sing... and I'd just grin. I was so happy we were together. 

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful memories can bring a bit of sadness with them. Still, the beauty of the memory offsets that, I would think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice memorial service! Hang on to those good memories.
    I remember a similar memorial service a year after my mother died. It was a Christmas service at the funeral home, and the tree was decorated with stars, one for each person whose funeral had been in the past year. After the service, family members were given their loved one's star as a keepsake.
    Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memories can be like that, Latane, and whether painful at times, they can also be happy ones as you have written here. And, I am sure that your "pew" buddy appreciated that you were there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you have so many good memories.
    The service does sound special.

    My good wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds like a really beautiful service and i am sure you are glad you went!! i'm sure you miss him dearly, and i am also sure he would have loved this service!!!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will visit often and leave a comment when you do. My blogging friends always put a smile on my face.