Monday, May 28, 2018

Old Brick Church

Back around 1960, when my husband was stationed at Bainbridge, Maryland, my Mom and step-dad came up from Alabama to visit us. Most of my family are of Primitive Baptist faith and so one day we drove up to an old historic church in Jarretsville. It wasn't open but we could peek inside through the windows. It was most impressive.


(my family standing in front of Old Brick Church)

Just lately I researched this church online. It is even more impressive now than it was to me back then. 

Old Brick Baptist Church was constituted on the first day of November 1754. The church was built in that year. In 1787 it was repaired, adding wood floors and other improvements. The church itself was constructed of Flemish bond brick. Some say the brick was brought over from England, other say not. The original yellow poplar seats that were put together with wooden pegs were still intact (at the writing of the article online). 

However, in recent years, someone painted the exterior brick with a brick red paint, a true travesty to the integrity of it's historic nature. 

I hope that the proper people take charge of the care of this fabulous old church. It deserves to be preserved. 

4 comments:

  1. I love hearing your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice piece of history!
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Latane, this is a wonderful piece of history you have shared!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will visit often and leave a comment when you do. My blogging friends always put a smile on my face.