Thursday, August 23, 2018

A Quilt to End All Quilts

Several years ago I saw this ad in a magazine about getting a picture transferred onto fabric. (Now days you can do it yourself on the computer). 

That gave me a brilliant idea!! I'd design and make a quilt about our life. 

So, I designed each square, depicting a place we had lived. We moved around a lot because Elbert was in the Navy but in order to make the quilt rectangular, I had to add more squares. So, I did some of our hobbies on that last row. 

I had no idea about who would end up with that quilt when I was GONE. And, each of the kids started saying it was THEIRS. What to do?

I still haven't decided. I don't quilt anymore so I can't make three more identical quilts so each would have one. Maybe my will administrator can hold a drawing. Who gets the shortest straw? Who gets their name drawn outta the hat? 

But, here is my quilt.... and at the bottom I will tell you about each square so if you want to miss that part you can just look at the quilt and move on! hehe.

Joining with Thankful Thursday and Little Things


1. Jasper, Alabama ....The house where I was born. 

2. Columbus, Mississippi..My and Elbert's marriage license and gold rings. A tiny cake, too

3. Jasper, Alabama where our first child was born. See I appliqued a cut-out of the state represented
     on each square that the children were born. Baby Marie is in a bassinet.

4. San Diego, California, our first home. (The Mexican influence displayed on that square)

5. Panama City, Florida... a duty station where we enjoyed palm trees and the ocean

6. Panama City, Fla. our second child, Steven, was born. He passed away at 3 months. This square
    shows the state and a cross with a crocheted bootie hanging from it.

7. Seattle, Washington... And, Mt. Rainier and a totem pole from the park where we visited

8. Seattle, Wa.. Baby Shirley came along. This square has the state and a rattle.

9. Havre de Grace, Md... Elbert was attending school at Bainbridge Naval Base nearby. 

10. Honolulu, Hawaii... Diamond Head 

11. Honolulu... and Michael was born. This square has a miniature flower lei attached.

12. Midway Island... The sand, the birds, the scaveola bushes

13. The center square is my and Elbert's wedding picture... what started this whole thing

14. Bainbridge, Md. again. This time I appliqued Michael sledding behind our apartment

15. Bainbridge, Md. Susan was born. A black-eyed susan, the state flower

16. Concord, Calif. A mt. I could see out my kitchen window

17. Annapolis, Maryland... perfect duty, my family complete. The Naval Academy Chapel in this pic.

18. Norfolk, Virginia... Elbert was stationed on the USS Boxer. He retired off that ship.

19. Jasper, Alabama... our farm

20. Wakefield, Virginia... our last home together.

last rows: hobbies of fishing, painting, genealogy, quilting and foxhunting. And, I'll have you know I embordiered that foxhound myself. 

15 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to commemorate you life. Your artistic talent shines through every square.
    When our son visited this summer he said he brought orange stickers to mark the things he wanted. He was kidding but we had a field day during the rest of his visit with me saying certain things would get an orange sticker; many of which he wouldn't want in a million years. That was the fun part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful heirloom to pass along to your children! They may have to work out a custody agreement to share equal time with the quilt
    Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to tell your family story. You are so talented. Have a Joy filled day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Latane, that is such a great quilt! And so very special for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great quilt and what a lot of work! A real treasure....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your quilt, what a story to share. I can imagine it may be difficult as to who gets the quilt. Maybe you have other things they will want and it will all work out. I am sharing a quilt today, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a family keepsake!!!! I must say you made the nicest quilt with so much family history.Anyone would be so honored to receive it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just amazing! I love it and I know you'll enjoy spending hours snuggled up in all of your good memories! My cousin quilts and I'll send her a link to your blog....I know she'll enjoy seeing this too! Well done my friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great way to commemorate your life. Plus, it is gorgeous! Thank you for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That quilt is marvelous! No wonder everyone wants it. What a handsome couple started this story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This gorgeous quilt is priceless, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a wonderful creation, I am in awe of your skill.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how wonderful! I can see how each of your children wants it. Maybe they could share it, one year for one, then on to the next...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hadn't seen this quilt in a while...I loved looking at it again! It's so funny. I think I thought about this quilt several days ago, and I have no real reason to have done so. Then that night I dreamed that our family (you, Dad and we children) had moved into a big new house, and Dad gave you a special gift: a chess set with wood inlayed pictures he had made of all the places we had lived. He was so proud of the beautiful job he had done on that chess set (I guess more than one square represented each place, because there are 52 squares I think in a chess set). Isn't that weird! And you posted this and I didn't even see it till today! I am going to go out on a limb here...how many quilts of yours does Michael have? I know each of we girls have at least one of yours (and maybe two or three) and a few of grandmother's etc. And just recently you gave we three girls the framed crochet doilies. If Michael wants this quilt I am thinking maybe he should have it, with the stipulation that when he is gone (sine he has no children) that it will go to one of your grandchildren...his choice. What do you think? It isn't that I wouldn't LOVE to have it, but I don't think it would be quite fair to receive it.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will visit often and leave a comment when you do. My blogging friends always put a smile on my face.