Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Eating Dragon Fruit.

Okay, Susan and I are in Balducci's grocer in Rye, New York. They call them 'grocers' in the north, down south we make it harder by saying 'grocery store'. Whatever. 

There is this strange looking thing in the fruit section. It's called a Dragon Fruit. I've never seen them where I live so I took a picture and once home, I looked that sucker up on Google. Google can tell you something about everything. 


The real name is pitaya, a native of Central America, from the cactus family. The outer leaves have spikes on them and when you cut inside it's flesh is white or red with all these tiny little seeds in there. 

It looks sort of like an artichoke, only red, not green and taste like a mix between kiwi and pear. I wish we would have bought one, just for the heck of it. Maybe next time. Or who knows, perhaps the "grocery stores" around here will start carrying them. 

Have any of you ever eaten Dragon Fruit? What'd you think? I don't know if that was $7.99 each or a pound or what. Sort of expensive, but then everything in New York is!! 

6 comments:

  1. Very colorful and exotic looking! I have never seen Dragon Fruit for sale here. Since it is native to Central America, you might ask about it at a Mexican Restaurant. But you might have to know its name in Spanish to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don’t say “grocer’s” here. Perhaps it is peculiar to New York. Yes, you gals should have tried one for all of us and given us a review. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen these, and heard they are delicious...will have to buy one some time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen these, and heard they are delicious...will have to buy one some time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the good information we share. I like your blog very much. It's great and I also like to eat a lot.
    สัตว์

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes truly Dragon fruit's are expensive. You may like the taste or not but it has mang health benefits such as-it improves cardiovascular health, boosts energy, helps to lose weight, prevents anemia, improves health of your eyes and much. Thanks for writing about Dragon fruit.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will visit often and leave a comment when you do. My blogging friends always put a smile on my face.