Wednesday, August 15, 2018

First Day of My Trip - Flight and Deer

I left Suffolk on July 31st, headed for the airport in Norfolk. I hadn't flown since 2014 and had gotten a tad (well, more than a tad) of apprehension about going anywhere on a plane. Every time you turn on the news there one more plane involved in something undesirable, hours delays, unruly passengers, one passenger nearly sucked out of a window, crashes, bird hits.. it just goes on and on. No, I did not want to fly.

But, I got on that plane, one of those smaller ones that seats about 35-40 people. Had just one seat down the right side, two on the left side. So, I get into my one seat. Of course, I had a window view. That was good (I think). Brought my kindle to read, just in case I didn't want to see where I was!! 

As the plane revved up the engines and started to climb off the runway, I reached in my bag and brought out a small rock that I had painted... Closed my fingers around it and prayed. 



We reached cruising altitude... I began to relax, even put my rock away. Rather than reading I began to watch out the window at the clouds below us. Hey, this is pretty cool. I did not read one word on that just over an hour flight to JFK in New York. 



Susan had arranged for me to be met at the plane with a wheelchair.. And, there the guy was, a sign BARTON held high above his head. That was me! So, I get situated into the chair and then he says "scoot up, I got to put your luggage back here". He had an accent! I think that is what he said. So, I scoot up, he loads my bag and away we go. 

He must have said 'excuse me' a kazillion times as we made our way through the crowded terminal. But, finally he pushes me out the door and there is Susan, waiting by the curb. I did it!! I flew. It's not as if this was the first time. I've been flying since I was 18 years old but it seems that the older I get the more concerned I get. I think it's the news on tv. They will scare the beejeebees out of you! I need to stop watching that stuff. 

So, we get to Susan's. It isn't long until my welcoming committee arrives.....
A family of deer in her back yard...

My camera is never far from me...

They aren't afraid at all. Even play hide and seek with Ranger, the family dog.





That was the first day of my trip to Susan's ..... More to come tomorrow, be sure you check back in then to see what all we get into to...

linking today with abc wednesday

13 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about watching the news - lots of scary stuff on there I would really rather not know about!
    Deer in the back yard - Beautiful! Wonderful!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures. Enjoy your vacation with family. Take lots of pictures to post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I am back again!
    You could link this post to the ABC Wednesday meme. Today's letter is F - F is for flight!
    https://abcwednesday.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like your painted rock.
    Lovely pictures you've shared, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job on the flying, girl! Enjoy your time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great narrative type post! --- enjoy! It wasn't the news it was the bad flight we had last December that has me antsy about flying again. But I will because, like you, I want to touch and spend time with family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurrah! I'm glad the flying went easy-peasy for you. Your Susan lives in a wonderful place. How cool that the deer feel safe hanging around her yard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never watch news… so the apprehansion it not likely to become part of me that soon…. only flown just 4 times thusfar… but if I could, I would board a plane immediately ;-)


    Have a splendid, ♥-warming ABC-Wednes-day / -week
    ♫ M e l d y ♪ (ABC-W-team)
    http://melodymusic.nl/23-F

    ReplyDelete
  9. Latane- Glad you bit the bullet and flew. I bet you are so glad now that you did just that. GREAT pictures. Deer are just such beautiful, graceful animals, aren't they?! xoDiana

    ReplyDelete
  10. I flew in July 2018 for the first time since May 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank You for sharing your article, This is an interesting & informative blog. It is very useful for the developer like me.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are having a fine time! what a start, with the deer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this post! Awesome to get to follow you through the entire trip. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will visit often and leave a comment when you do. My blogging friends always put a smile on my face.