Tuesday, January 7, 2014

My Birthday and the Birds

I awoke to a cold, cold morning. I could tell, because when I opened my eyes and lay there a bit, the furnace just kept running and running and, the room still felt chilly. The arctic air was here! So, I snuggled back down under the covers and wouldn't budge. Not for awhile anyway.

It was 13 degrees when I forced myself out of that warm bed. Do I have to? Well, yes... I have a podiatrist appointment after awhile. If that foot wasn't hurting I'd call and cancel but getting rid of the pain takes precedence over freezing to death.

I wrote my sister a letter. Typed it big print. She has to have cataract surgery soon and can't see much. I am so upset that letter writing is a thing of the past, as are a lot of other wonderful things.
(my sister)


Yesterday was my birthday. #80. My daughter is planning a big party for later on in the month. My fault because my birthday is just so close to Christmas!! Everybody's pooped out after the holidays. Perhaps by the time my party rolls around they will be ready to celebrate!! I hope so 'cause I will be.

The day was fun anyway. Daughter Shirley sees that I don't sit home alone. She grabbed me up and we headed to a new seafood place but wouldn't you know it... they were closed on Mondays. Durn.

We were going to the movie. I wanted to see 'Saving Mr. Banks' so we searched for a place to eat near the theatre. Found one we had never tried. It's called 'The Broken Egg' bistro. Hmmm.... well, we would try it. I was not going to eat ordinary bacon and eggs on my birthday!! No siree. So I ordered the Bayou Omelet (stuffed with peppers and onions and topped with crawfish etoufee). Shirley got us mimosas. Yum, yum, yum.
Sure wish you all had been with us. You could have helped me eat that plateful of yum. But, the mimosa was MINE!

This morning I was a little worried about my birdies so I checked the feeders. One is half-filled. Maybe it will not get empty until this weather warms up. But, look at this one. What happened!!
It's all helter-skelter. The squirrel maybe. I don't think the birds are gonna be happy about that. But....


That little titmouse isn't scared. He already has his breakfast in his beak. Good job, Birdy.

Now, it's time for me to get ready for that dr. appt. and to brave the cold. Maybe I'll straighten the feeder when I go outside.

Have a good one and stay warm.

15 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY and such a lovely photo of you. It isn't a great time for birthdays is it but later is always better than never :-)-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Latane. My birthday is close to Christmas too (the week before) so not much celebrating of that but that's okay by me.

    Birds here have been feeding like mad. Glad I filled those feeders when it was still balmy yesterday. Today the low was 2º. Up in the teens as I write now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Latane, Happy, Happy Birthday to one of the nicest women that I know! I am so glad that Shirley is so wonderful to you. She was sent from Heaven. The party sound like lots of fun later in the month. Hope we get pictures.

    It is 3 degrees here at 5pm today. Not much snow right here but around us they are really getting it.

    Our birds are eating us out of house and home. But we (and the neighbors) are missing our cardinals this year. We don't know why.

    Well, Happy Birthday again...and why not celebrate it all month?

    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your page through " a journey through Alzheimers". I have to tell you I read every post and cried my heart out. I am young, 24 years old. I have a toddler and my husband and I have been married just a few years now. I can't imagine the pain that you have gone though with losing your husband. I am happy to see that you are doing better and feeling better as well. You are such a strong woman, I look up to you in every way. I can only hope to share a love with my husband as you shared with yours. God bless.

    Catelin Powers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Latane! Sounds like you had a nice one with more to come.
    The birds here have been really keeping me busy filling feeders. It's so cold the last couple of days, that I'm kind of surprised they want to fly. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Latane! Sounds like you had a good birthday, good food and mimosas! That's a cute little titmouse at the feeder.
    Enjoy your party later this month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to you!! I'm glad you and your daughter has such a nice time going out. I love mimosas, too. You wouldn't share? :-)

    Stay warm--I think it's supposed to get up in the 30s Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry you are so cold!!! The weather news has really been amazing this week so far. I think it may warm up a little for you soon! But a lot of people are sure having a time with the freezing air! As you can see by my post, we aren't even having freezes at night here...lovely 70 degree weather. I sure can't complain! Happy birthday, again, Mom! Love you LOTS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, Happy belated birthday! (Hubby's birthday is New Year's Day, so he can sympathize with a birthday so close to Christmas!)
    Sounds like you and your daughter had a nice time. I've never been to that bistro, but I know where it is.
    Stay warm - hope your foot is better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Belated but still thinking of you as you welcome another great and special birthday dear Latane. Hope this decade is full of wonderful times, good health and joyful hours.

    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday, Latane. Have fun at your upcoming party. Great picture of that little titmouse...Your bird feeder looks like ours always did in the winter after the deer get finished with them. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday, Latane! Wishing you a wonderful year filled with many blessings including good health and much happiness!
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Cutie, What a neat post.. Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday with more celebrations to come!!!!! That omelet sounds wonderful… YUM…

    Did you see the movie also? I've heard that it is really good.

    Have a wonderful day and stay warm.. (Think it's gonna warm up now… YEAH)
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Belated birthday wishes, Latane, and how lovely of you to "share" you birthday lunch with us. You can keep the mimosa as wine would be my choice. Hope this turns out to be a great year for you!
    I will also celebrate a milestone birthday in Feb and just received my medicare card, so you can guess what # is doing up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you had a great birthday. I'm trying to get in the habit of sending a letter to my daughter and her family on a regular basis. We see them about once a month, but I want them to know I think about them often. I do miss letters in the mail.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will visit often and leave a comment when you do. My blogging friends always put a smile on my face.