Friday, June 27, 2014

A Look In The Mirror



Do you ever REALLY look into your mirror? Sure, we sort of see what we are doing... smearing on makeup, plucking our eyebrows, applying lipstick.

Okay.... wait a minute.... right now, this very second, just walk away from the computer and go look in the mirror. REALLY look! I will wait until you come back.


Now... tell me. What did you see?  An older face? One more lined than last year? Were the lines worry lines, frowning lines or lines caused by smiles and laughter? Okay... maybe a little of both.

A few gray hairs curling about your face?  Oh geez. How did that happen?

You'd forgotten that tiny scar where the baby threw it's bottle and cut you above your eye. How long has it been since you even thought about how, when that happened, you cuddled your child, even though your eye was bleeding?

Mouth drooping a bit? Eye lids doing the same? Sorry, not a thing you can do about gravity. But, if you stretch your lips into a smile it doesn't droop nearly as badly. And, the eyes light up and look wide and excited.

Our face tells the story of our life's journey. Each little line, each forehead crease, every gray hair. It marks an event, sad or happy. We so often take ourselves for granted. Remember how, when we are cleaning up after supper, we wipe the table clean and most times don't even realize we have done it. That's how we look into the mirror. We don't see those stories etched into our faces. And, so, we don't see our character, our soul, ourselves.

9 comments:

  1. This made me smile, Latane. Nearly 30 years ago I contracted a bout with Bells Palsy leaving the right side of my face just a tad droopy. Just a bit...only I can see it, but it has had a profound affect on how people view me especially as I age. I can be sitting quietly thinking the happiest of thoughts, but folks think I'm angry. It always cracks me up when I'm told to cheer up :)I guess my face tells a story, but its a whopper LOL. Have a great weekend, Dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very thoughtful post, Mom. We all have to face these changes as we grow older, but yes, our changes do tell the story of our life. Interesting thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post! I try not to look too closely in the mirror. lol! At 68, the gravity has set in as well as age spots, etc. Oh well, as they say, 'it is what it is'. Frankly, I'm just happy to be here and don't worry about it overmuch. I often see people who look so down in the dumps and give them a smile. Some will smile back, but too many don't. I always wonder what's going on in their lives to make them look unhappy.
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mean it is not just me ...this is happening to? That is so good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post Latane!Looking good for my age is enough, I have earned my lines whether smiling, scowling or crying through the years.
    On my 64th birthday someone asked me if it was a 'significant' birthday meaning was it a 60th or 70th,I answered" at my age ALL birthdays are significant as so many people I have known have not made it this far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I should post this on my mirror. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in the club alongside you dear! Suddenly the wrinkles seem to becoming fast and furious - and when I met up with my brother in London last week he said "I like the shorter hair Mar but it does make you look so much more like our mum!" I had to agree with him - but because I loved my mum so much, and still miss her every day, I really don't mind looking like her now.

    Smiling as hard as I can………..
    Mary (now back in the USA)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will visit often and leave a comment when you do. My blogging friends always put a smile on my face.