Monday, April 23, 2018

A Time Alone

                                       Since I live alone I have found that I can do anything I want to!
Nobody needing me for anything. No husband wanting breakfast. No children to send to school. No pet to be fed.
I am my own boss. Although I sorely miss my companions (my husband and then my partner) and would want my life back the way it was, I sort of like being on my own. 
I have a routine every morning. I am a fairly early riser if you can call 7 early. I walk into my office, sit down in an old swivel-rocker that had been my Moms. I ask Alexa (Echo) what the weather is, then ask her to play some classical music (it's a different composer usually each morning). 
I reach for three books that are nearby. The Bible, "Letting Go" by Beatty, and "Who Will Cry When You Die" by Robin Sharma. Those books have lessons I need to set the tone for my day. I read a bit, say a prayer, sometimes I meditate (just being quiet and peaceful) while maybe Chopin or Beethoven provides the background music. Sometimes I choose the sounds of the ocean or a thunderstorm to play on my Echo.  I love this quiet time, just me, God and my thoughts. 
                               As Robin Sharma says "The way you begin your day determines the way you will live your day". 
                                                                How do you start your day?


10 comments:

  1. I love reading your thoughts this morning! I’m like you, I love being able to do what I want at this stage of my life although I am thankful that I have Louis Dean to share my life with. I usually have my first cup of coffee in bed and say my morning prayers. We have what we call ‘stupor time’ over our second cup of coffee followed by reading the Bible and devotional books and then a chapter from whatever book we are reading. It’s a good way to start the day.....although I start mine much later than you do yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such wonderful advice for us all! Even those who have a busy life can find that quiet time if they work hard to do so...it's there waiting! We all need it. Lovely post, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to reconsider my mornings - they are usually much more rused to get ready and head out the door...TV on with the latest news as I get dressed, put on my makeup and dry my hair. :( When I get to the office I take time with the coffee in hand I made before I left the house and open my "Jesus Calling" devotional.Thanks for sharing! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to read your post.
    My day always starts with a cup of tea!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quiet time in the morning is a beautiful way to start the day. I would add just two things. I check the obits in the newspaper, hoping there is no one there that I know, and then I read the comics. Starts my day off with a smile.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I take a hot bath each morning and have coffee. I started taking this extra time for myself many years ago when my husband was traveling and I was with our small children. If I didn't carve out that time for myself, there wouldn't be any the rest of the day. It is now a habit and I enjoy this quiet time each morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like staying up late and sleeping late. I make all appointment for afternoon so I can sleep as long as I like.
    I don't like living alone one single bit. I miss Mr. Sweet every minute of the day and night. I am blessed to be right here with family, tho, for which I am thankful.
    My mornings start with a prayer, generally...then coffee while I ck email and blogs...breakfast....and then on with the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds beautiful and so grounding and peaceful, Latane. I am alone alot while my husband travels, so I like to have my morning coffee while I read the newspaper, then I start my housework. I love the peace and quiet, with time to think about life while I putter around. I always save my prayers for right before bed and hope I dream of the loved ones that are no longer with me. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have not heard from you in a long time.
    Yes, I do love spring but fall is my very
    favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice routine this is, Latane. I usually begin my day with coffee, taking photos of nature, and always talking to God throughout the day. Your mother's rocker is a treasure. And this is a very lovely post.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will visit often and leave a comment when you do. My blogging friends always put a smile on my face.