Monday, December 10, 2018

Writing Letters To Loved Ones

I spent a couple days last week propped up in my recliner watching the funerals of George H. W. Bush. Regardless of what your political leanings might be, it would be very difficult to have not been touched and impressed by the love and honor paid to that man. And, the stories of his devotion to family and friends made me take stock of my own dealings with the people in my life.

I used to love to write letters. And, I have saved a few letters that my husband wrote to me when he was away in his Navy days. But, then along came email... and then texting.... and then social media and snapchats and the like and we have lost our handwritten communication. How sad... there will be no letters to pull out when we are in our later years, to read, remember, cherish.

You may be wondering where I am going with this.


I have decided that it is time for me to pull out my stationery, my ballpoint pen, my postage stamps. I want to start writing letters to my family and friends. If they don't reply, that's ok. I don't expect them to. But, I just feel a need to put my thoughts on paper, to pour my love and appreciation out to those who mean the most to me.

Call me an old fool. Yes, I can send emails, yes, I text. I don't do snapchat but I do Marco Polo (videos to send to people). I enjoy facebook and Instagram. But, there is just something about getting a letter in the mail!! So, fool or not, that is what I am going to start doing.

15 comments:

  1. When I was in grade 11, I read one story, "On letter writing", by A. G. Gardiner. He wrote that, "letter writing is nothing but a lost art." That is very true.

    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!
    I am getting my Christmas card list together tonight, and I will go to the post office tomorrow to buy stamps. I love sending and receiving cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are no fool and your friends and family will love receiving your letters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An 'old fool'? Not a chance. You've given me an inspiration to use the form of a personal letter to write the narratives of my ancestors for my family research binders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am here to tell you that writing "real" letters is not lost. Just yesterday I received an 11 page letter, closely written on both sides, from a pen pal in the eastern US. We often write at least twice a month and usually the letters are that long. I write to about 30 pals, letters varying in length considering their interests and how long a letter they write. It's great to go to the mailbox and find a letter! Come visit my mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Latane. This would be a very kind act to do!! Not only would your friends be so happy and surprised but I think it would bring you so much enjoyment to you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Latane, What a wonderful idea. The family and friends who receive your letters will be so pleased. You are such a good writer. Happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you. I love sending cards and letters. Such an important thing we cannot let die!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are preaching to the choir here, Latane, because I really like to send cards, notes and letters. I handwrite all my holiday cards and it amazes me that the ones I receive rarely have nothing more in them than the sender's name(s). I have not really trimmed my card list (maybe just slightly) and already purchased stamps in advance of the Jan increase so I can continue to send cards in 2019. Like you, I believe that people do like getting a card, note or letter in the mail to know that they have been thought of by the sender. And I plan to keep sending them. Good for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so agree about there being nothing quite like a letter...just to touch something that has been touched by that other person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even for a Canadian, the celebration of life was amazing!
    Good idea to write letters. I usually do a poem for each kids' birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's wonderful to write a letter, and extra special to receive one.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are NOT an old fool! But I also have to admit that I have not written any "pleasure" letters (as opposed to letters at my job)since 2003. And I know that date because it was when the last relative I corresponded with via snail mail passed away. How sad. My son, who is in his late 20's, can't even read cursive because he was never taught in school, but that's another topic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wanted to thank you for participating in Nature Notes in 2018 and wish you a very Happy Holiday Season..Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this idea! I wish my hand would hold out to write more, but now I have to type anything more than a couple of paragraphs long. Still, getting mail in your mailbox from a friend or loved one, now that is something special!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will visit often and leave a comment when you do. My blogging friends always put a smile on my face.